Do you know what the proper skirt length is? It’s not mini- or mid-length, it’s the length that is at least two inches below your cellulite.
If you’re like me, you are also somewhat unsettled by the layers of fat bumping out of your bottom and thighs, but don’t worry, you’re not alone. Even Mother Eve was given the choice of either ending world hunger or living a cellulite-free life. Such is a gravity of the situation. You can definitely guess what she must have chosen because as far as I can see world hunger is still an epidemic of global proportions.
Cellulite, too, is a global epidemic, if you ask me. We can definitely find some comfort in the fact that apart from affecting us – it doesn’t spare even the glittering Hollywood star. Now, you can at least brag you have something in common with Jennifer Lopez and Beyoncé.
While some of us go to any lengths to get rid of the stubborn fat stuck right under our thighs and buttocks, others not only own it but are overtly proud of it. “It’s not cellulite,” they say, “it’s my body’s way of saying I’m sexy… in braille.”
Fact of the matter is there is nothing to be proud of the “bulgy bane”. Summer is here and we must get in shape. After all, who wouldn’t like to swagger in the mouth-wateringly lavish Mikoh bikini on Miami beach?
So what’s the solution for the ugly dimples we are so not proud of? Apply the miracle cellulite-removing cream and run 10 miles a day?
There must be more we can do to get rid of the lumpy fat, such as eliminating the bad food in our diets and adding exercise to our daily routine. Let’s just look at our options, but let’s first read what cellulite actually is and why it is so despicable.
What is Cellulite? A Cottage Cheese Skin
Despite its gross appearance, cellulite is neither a disease nor a health threat. It is just fat underneath your skin, err, well, stubborn fat that refuses to budge. It appears bumpy because it pushes against the connective tissue in the skin.
In medical terminology, cellulite has some of the most difficult names in the world such as adiposis edematosa, gynoid lipodystrophy, status protrusus cutis, and dermopanniculosis deformans. However, for the sake of ease, we will call it ‘cottage cheese skin’ or ‘orange peel syndrome’. Don’t really want to chase you away with medical jargon.
So what is cellulite, and how do you get rid of cellulite? According to dermatologists, cellulite affects as many as 90% of women at some point in their lives. Before you unleash your feminist self, let me tell you there is nothing sexist about the statistics. Cellulite affects men as well, though only 10% of them. Ouch!
What Causes Cellulite?
So what causes cellulite? Is it the weight? Not really! Even thin women can get it. Apparently a lot of factors play a role such as:
- Hormones – like estrogen, insulin, thyroid hormones, and prolactin, as well as, neurotransmitters like noradrenaline are all guilty.
- Genetics – You have increased chances of having a dimply, but not-really-cute bottom if your mother or sister has one.
- Diet – Gorging yourself with carbohydrates, fat and salt may make your tummy happy but your butt and thighs will definitely not appreciate it.
- Lifestyle – Who says being a couch potato and sitting on your bum for too long doesn’t pay off? It does, in the form of cellulite and a big fat bottom. Get your muffin butt up and get moving.
- Clothing – Tight underwear prevents blood flow across your glutes and increases your chances of getting cellulite. Get your panties in a twist, literally!
What is the Solution?
If you are even a tad bit concerned about the subdermal lipid stores, and are committing to cut down on the fat down there, you must inspect what you are eating. Cut down on simple sugary carbs and processed fats; eat healthy, such as healthy dietary fats like avocado and olive oil, fibrous fruits such as berries, and fibrous vegetables such as broccoli. Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight because frankly there is no miracle shortcut to losing cellulite.
You have to burn before you can earn!
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water. Dehydration can be a leading cause to cellulite
- Cucumber is an excellent source of water, minerals and vitamins
- Flax seeds improve skin elasticity. Flax seeds contain phytochemicals that regulate hormones
- Lemon, green tea and dark leafy greens are also a great way to melt away cellulite
As for exercises and other spa techniques, try these:
- Cycling and Jogging – These target your thighs and buttocks
- Squats and Lunges – What your flabby thighs and bottoms are screaming for. Squats and lunges are excellent fat-busters and toning leg exercises
- Dry-brush your body – Do it first thing in the morning. Spa-enthusiasts swear by dry-body brushing. Gentle body scrubbing sloughs off the dead, dry skin giving it a smooth look. Use this awesome dry brush.
- Wear thongs or looser fitting undergarments
- Foam rolling! A fitness model secret to smoother looking skin…the benefits of foam rolling are endless. Check out our favorite: the Intelliroll.
These tips are really helpful and should work for you. If they do not, you might want to check out cellulite creams that really work.
Cellulite Creams – Do They Really Work?
The fashion stores are lined up with beauty products but let’s get this fact straight – there is no miracle cure-in-a-jar. It is true that some creams work, but it is important to consult the dermatologist before you pick one.
Most of the cellulite creams contain aminophylline which is a prescription drug for asthma. Aminophylline can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. Cellulite creams containing caffeine and hyaluronic acid are benign and can help disguise cellulite for a few hours.
There are other techniques such as liposuction to remove fat from the body. But the American Academy of Dermatology warns that liposuction can create more depressions in the skin and worsen the appearance of cellulite. As a fitness professional, I have noticed liposuction inhibit the goals of many women and ruin their ability to build muscle and actually lose more fat naturally in the surgical area! So, let’s not go there, girls! We do not want to complicate what is benign.
Let us rely on a healthy diet and exercise routine like the Body Breakthrough Nutrition and Fitness Plans to rid our trouble areas from stubborn fat and cellulite for the time being!