Happy National Grilled Cheese Day … Not that anyone needs an excuse to have a grilled cheese sandwich!
Everyone loves a grilled cheese and who says you can’t indulge, enjoy, and have it be completely guiltless?!
Here are 3 of our favorite recipes to try.
ZUCCHINI CRUSTED GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
These grilled cheese sandwiches are low carb and healthier than traditional grilled cheese sandwiches, by using a zucchini “bread” similar to zucchini pizza crust.
YIELD: 2 sandwiches
- 4 cups packed freshly shredded raw zucchini (not yet drained) (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 thick slices of cheese of your choice (sub vegan cheese if preferred)
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add shredded zucchini to a large bowl and let sit 10-15 minutes. Drain excess water from zucchini bowl. Using a tea towel or several sturdy paper towels, add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into towel and wring dry. Repeat with remaining zucchini. When you are finished, you should have about 2 1/2 cups of zucchini remaining. It is okay that the zucchini is still damp. If you’ve made cauliflower crust before, you do not need to wring zucchini as dry as the cauliflower.
3. Add in eggs, flour, shredded Parmesan cheese and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4. Divide zucchini batter evenly into four servings and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, thin and spread out the divided batters to form four bread squares measuring 4.5 inch x 4.5 inch x 1/4 inch.
5. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes or until surface starts to turn a light brown. Gently, using a spatula, flip breads over and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the tops of the breads are a light brown.
6. Remove from oven and flip breads again. The side on top should now be crispy. The underside will be slightly softer but this will be the inner bread sections where you will place the cheese.
7. Place one thick cheese slice in between two zucchini breads. You can then cook these the traditional way, spreading some butter or mayonnaise on the outer bread surfaces and heating them on a skillet until cheese is melted, or you for a healthier version, place the sandwiches into your oven and broil for a few minutes (about 5-10) until cheese is melted (this is the method I used).
CAULIFLOWER CRUSTED GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
Although this is a little more ambitious to make on the regular, I am obsessed with cauliflower so this is a personal favorite. There are tons of health benefits as well. It helps fight cancer, is an anti-inflammatory, rich in vitamins and minerals, has tons of fiber so it’s great for digestive health, and helps your body detox.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets and stem removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese (sub vegan cheese if preferred)
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Place cauliflower into food processor and pulse until crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice.
2. Place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender (and hot!).
3. Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. (If you don’t want to use the microwave to dry out the cauliflower and prefer to steam and wring with a cloth to dry, check out my wringing instructions here.) Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and clumped up (like photo above; similar to as if someone had chewed it up and spit it back out.) If you’ve made cauliflower pizza or breadsticks with the cloth wringing dry method, it should look the same.
4. Add in egg, parmesan and seasoning. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat mat. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
5. Using a good spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Normally I make grilled cheese sandwiches on a pan, but since the cauliflower crust is more delicate, I didn’t want to risk it breaking with too many flips on the stove. Instead, make 2 cauliflower sandwiches by adding a slice of cheese in between each pair of bread slices. Place sandwiches into toaster oven and broil for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is toasty. If you don’t own a toaster oven, you can also do this in the oven.
EZEKIEL BREAD AND GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
Ezekiel bread is a way better choice than most breads on the market. Whereas most breads contain sugar, Ezekiel contains none. It is made from organic, sprouted whole grains. Sprouting, as in soaking the grains in water and allowing them to germinate, causes a number of biochemical reactions in the grain.
The benefits of this are twofold:
- Sprouting increases the amount of healthy nutrients.
- Sprouting reduces the amount of harmful anti-nutrients.
It contains only 80 calories per slice, 4g of fiber, and 5 g of protein!
- 2 Slices Ezekiel Bread sprouted flax, or cinnamon raisin are both awesome
- Your choice of Vegan Cheeses- See reviews on article linked
- Including: Treeline Soft Cheeses, Jay Astafa’s Mozzarella, Cheezehound’s Qasbah, Dr. Cow’s Three- Month Aged Cashew Cheese, Chao Slices
Simply grill 4-7 minutes per side or until cheese is melted.
If you like this article, feel free to share with all your grilled cheese loving friends! Now, go get out your grill and enjoy National Grilled Cheese Day!